Second Hand Smoke

This is a personal look into the 2nd hand effects of family,community,and historical Traumas especiall after 9/11 . The Journey is the Destination.

12.29.2004

FIRE: 12/23/04


Fire @ the Apartment Complex. I had noticed it at about 2pm but it had started around 12noonas the City Fire Department arrived all in tow.R. came out with nothing but the clothes on his back and many others were panicking about their pass-ports.There only copy.
Can't believe how crapping long it took put it out as each time it appeared to have died down; the flames popped directly back up.
Invited R. into my apartment to use my phone and call his daughter & then opened my place to anyone standing nearbye who needed to get out of the cold or use the bathroom.
Alfredo and his mother were in my place for a good long while.Made hot chocolate for him and talked to him about the 911 song . Felt that it was better to talk about the good and helpful fireman instead of discussing topics that might be scarey for him. His mother doesn't speak English much and so when a firewoman came to use the Bathroom Alfredo translated for his mother. What a responsibility for such a small boy.
I had met so many people at the complex that I have lost count, however everyone miraculously worked together. Children whose family apartments were up in flames were moved to friends in other apartments. The minister across the street opened up his house for
many people.
I had fallen asleep at 3a.m and slept until 6.am the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home