Second Hand Smoke

This is a personal look into the 2nd hand effects of family,community,and historical Traumas especiall after 9/11 . The Journey is the Destination.

5.09.2005

The Empty Chair

Just 2 weeks ago I had watch a viewing of the video Documentary " The Empty Chair" ,
@ the local Peace and Justice Center sponcered by
TCASK . I thought it was an excellent movie. Especially for the classroom or a workshop setting as it was a moving process watching family members of the murdered arrive on different conclusions. Some became Death Penalty Advocates, Others believed in a A Spiritual Reconciliation, and others were still in process of working thru thier feelings, and finally there were those who became Anti-Death Penalty Advocates.
So I give this an Excellent thumbs up for Workshop Disscussion material.

My feeling toward the Death Penalty have changed over time and is also still a work in process. However I believe in the attempt to being open and not becoming a closed book. I write," attemp" because re-examing fast held beliefs is not an event in of itself: like all change , it takes a long term process and commitment to it. I believe it just starts with the willingness to admit other truths and viewpoints are relevant to personal examination.
I am also blessed with good friends and other support who support and encourage my various inquiries into questioning old assumptions.

They know who they are. :)

My Experiences of my own abuse history has colored so much of my values about the world.

Take for example:
Abu-Ali AbdurÕRahman.

I remember attending an informational session with his
legal team, spiritual advisor and amongst local anti-death penalty advocates.
This case had a deep impact on me as I had left with personal philosophical questions and reflections.
At the time I heard how severely and sadisticly abused that he was as a child. This was something that I could relate to.
Evidently one example was of a Family member of caregiver forcing him to eat Dog Feces.
I also have a same experience.

As N. My brother had on one occasion had forced my nose in a bowl of Dog Feces and on another occasion tried to force me to eat Dog Food.

At the time I was thinking on the line of how abused I had been but I had not commited any crimes let alone- Murder. On the other hand...
My brother had on one occasion attempted to stab someone while a Cabby in NYC in the 1970's nothing came of it though.

and as a 8 or 9 yr old I had tried to stab my brother with a kitchen knife
in order to get him to stop.
These Questions just don't go away for me; they just keep on nagging and are important to answer.


My life was an absolute Mess until I got the intervention that I needed and that took a long time in coming but did get intervention later in my life.


Mr.Abu-Ali has never had any kind of intervention regarding his abuse history. It certainly does't excuse him for his actions, however, I don't believe this man should get the Death Penalty.

Where would I be if I not had recieved any kind of theraputic interventions in my life.
I would be Dead. Probably by Suicide.

Intervention is the Key
but
Prevention: even better.
Other thoughts that the documentary brought up for me was one man who's Father had murdered and yet how he wonders if it is easier in society to be the son of a murdered man rather than the son of a murderer.
This statement had such an impact on me.
d.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home